Client: London Borough of Southwark
Southwark has embarked upon an ambitious programme to regenerate 112 hectares of land around the Elephant & Castle in south-east London. Tibbalds’ role has included:
- preparing a Comprehensive Development Framework, leading a team of design and technical specialists to produce an innovative, deliverable plan capable of overcoming the area’s complex problems. This has widespread support and has been adopted as Supplementary Planning Guidance;
- preparing design briefs and advising on planning applications;
- preparing a strategy for rehousing 1,100 residents;
- preparing briefs and judging architectural mini-competitions for new housing;
- preparing and coordinating documentation for the procurement of a commercial development partner;
- open space improvement strategies; and
- a programme of consultation and involvement with residents, businesses and key stakeholders.
Lend Lease were selected as the Council’s preferred development partner. Outline planning has recently been secured for the redevelopment of the Heygate Estate. In addition planning consents have been secured for a number of other sites in the Regeneration Area. The majority of the residents of the Heygate Estate have been rehoused.
London Planning Award 2005.